Sunday, August 25, 2013

Second Day in Blimbing Sari - Bamboo Planting Day

Theme of the day: Bamboo~
Everyone was excited before we departed to the river side for bamboo planting
In the wonderful Saturday morning in Blimbing Sari, Bali.  We all did a meaningful job – Planting Bamboo in the riverside.  





The reason of planting the bamboo is to prevent soil erosion.  Everyone of us had a young bamboo plant, and there were holes which are meant for planting the bamboo beside the river.  Certain holes were near to the river, and certain holes were positioned in the upper part of the hill.  


After planting the bamboo, we prayed together that bamboo will grow strongly and hold the soil firmly.

Those bamboos that we have planted are meant to hold the soil together from falling apart. Somehow, I felt that Christians are just like those bamboos.  We have been put into different position, some of us are serving full time, and some of us are working in secular world.  But, our aim is the same! We are meant to bring people to Christ. Preventing people from falling just like the bamboo preventing the soil from falling down into the river.   In my mind, I was thinking that bamboo must grow to be stronger in order to hold more soil, and same do I! 


Then, I prayed: "Lord, teach me how to grow stronger in You.  I need to grow deeper, Lord! Teach me, open my eyes, ears, and heart to know Your plan in my life so that I can keep growing, Amen!"

When the day came to afternoon, I was impressed by a kid who volunteered to sing a song on stage. He sang a Bahasa Indonesia song ‘Ikut Tuhan’ which means Fellowing God (Jesus).  The song lyric was: I want to fellow Jesus, not because of parents, siblings, presents, or I am being force to follow Jesus; BUT because I LOVE Him.
This young boy sang Ikut Tuhan during the kids E.E. party in the church named GKPB Jemaat PNIEL. 
After listening to this song, once again I reflected my life. As a pastor kid, there's always expectations on me. People think that, as a child of pastor, surely you can do this and that, know this and that, etc.... I grew up in this environment. So, I always have the tendency to be super sensitive on what others think of me. From the lyrics, I asked myself again, what is the reason of following Christ. Is it because of others? I prayed asking God to examine my heart. I was thankful for God reminded me again that I should fix my eyes only to Him, not to others. 

Then, there's a thought popped in my mind, To grow in Christ is to grow together with LOVE. Love is the essence. Wow, how amazing is our God! He spoke to me through a song that sang by a little boy. My heart is full love, the love of God.


We were helping to distribute the buns, strawberry wafers and peanut wafers to the kids.

At night, we had fellowship with the adult crusade in the church. After listening to the testimony of Paik Shing, the bamboo thought that I had in the morning changed slightly.

Paik Shing was sharing her testimony in Bahasa Melayu during the fellowship.
I realized that there's interrelation between the bamboo and soil. In the morning, I only emphasized the mission of bamboo, which is to hold the soil, preventing soil erosion. But I neglected the role of the soil. Bamboo needs soil to grow as well!  Just like Christian, growing in Christ is also through bringing people to Christ. When we are nurturing people with the word of God, we are also being nurtured as well.  It's not what I was thinking that I have to grow stronger in Christ first, then only I can serve God better.  It's always a progress, growing while serving.  Above all, it is all about the Love and Grace of God!


                                                                                                                                    by Jit Ai (Malaysia)

No comments:

Post a Comment